What is a woven label? It is a fabric clothing label on the loom as damask, salvage, satin, reverse woven labels with damask, salvage, or crochet machine. They mainly have two types: selvage and trimming, with text, letters, and LOGO patterns. Usually, we sew them on clothes, pants, shirts, shoes and hats, home textiles, etc.
What is a woven label?
Woven labels are woven on the loom by fixing warp yarns. And the woven label machine prints logos, graphics, letters, numbers, 3D signs, and colors with weft yarns. The woven label itself is not big. And the specification of the pattern design must sometimes be accurate to 0.05mm. If it is slightly larger by 0.05mm, then this type of woven label will be out of shape compared to the original. Naturally, it is acceptable for some consumers to require a woven label with a difference of 0.05mm.
However, for some relatively high-end well-known brands, a difference of 0.05mm is not enough. And it must be accurate. Because this type of woven label is a long-term user evaluation medium, it has a brand name. In terms of brand clothing, the label is a tangible medium for user evaluation and publicity planning. Please refer to the woven label photo gallery if you what to see more woven label samples.
What is the cutting process of a woven label?
The cutting process includes hot cutting (burning edge woven label), laser cutting (laser woven label), ultrasonic cutting, half-fold, two ends fold, hanging ear fold, and irregular iron fold.
What are the different processes on the back of a woven label?
According to the different processes on the back, we have a cotton-filled woven label, adhesive-backed woven label, overlock woven label; back thermal adhesive woven label; back double-sided adhesive woven label, and back paper plain-woven label.
How many materials are used in a woven label?
- Ribbon (affordable, can achieve the best washing effect);
- Tape (the tape is also called plant-coated cloth, the surface is slippery. Therefore, the printing effect is the best, but it is not as washable as the ribbon);
- Cotton belt (natural and eco friendly);
- Polyester tape (smooth fabric, good print, washable)
Different types of woven labels
There are mainly 3 types of woven labels. Such as damask woven labels, satin woven labels, and reverse woven labels.
Damask woven labels
Damask woven labels have yarn behind and his edges are cut. According to their different textures, we can divide them into two types. The first is the flat product label. The other is the segmented product label. Because damask woven labels are the most common type of woven labels. And the workmanship is fine and the details are well done. Therefore, it is very popular with clothing manufacturers and brands. And it is cost-effective and can have mass production. Then, its price is not expensive and can save the cost of customers.
Satin woven labels
Satin woven label is a type of selvage label. And satin woven labels are also woven satin material. It has softer edges and surfaces like silk. So, it looks more premium and is slightly more expensive. Because it’s starched and high-end, so many clothing brands will customize it.
Reverse woven labels
Reverse woven labels are also a kind of satin woven label. But its satin is in behind. The front is the reverse of the satin label. And some colors (underground colors) cannot be made flat and double-sided. The opposite side of the satin finish suits the base color. But the workmanship is very good. So, we hardly see any flaws.
The reversed satin woven labels are very special and few customers choose them. Both sides are totally reversed compared with satin woven garment labels. And it means that the smooth front side is on the back. While the striped backside is at the front.
What are the woven label types classified by application?
- The main woven labels. They are suitable for the main collar label on the neck or trousers;
- Fold in half woven labels. It is often used for decorative labels on the side seams and coating edges of clothes;
- Woven wash labels. We add washing instructions inside the garment;
- Woven size labels. There are men’s and women’s clothing, children’s clothing as well as upper & lower clothing. Such as 150/70A S, 175/75A XL, and so on.
- Decorative labels. They refer to all kinds of woven badges, sleeve labels, trouser pocket labels, etc.;
Types of woven label machine
Damask woven label is the current mainstream practice. Because of its high yield and high-cost performance. The salvage woven label machine is relatively old and high-end, but the output is low. And crochet machines are basically few factories in use now.
Damask woven machine
The most obvious way to identify it is to look at the cut edge of the label. We generally use hot cutting. And hot-cutting woven labels have obvious incisions. The cut edge feels slightly hard, and it is black. The other cutting way is ultrasonic cutting. And it also has obvious incisions, but the cut edge feels smoother and does not sting the skin.
- The cloth label is woven like a piece of cloth along the warp direction. And then cut, so we also call it a trimming machine.
- According to their different textures, it has two categories. Namely, plane woven label (plain) and satin woven label (twill).
- The plane woven label has a general plane, heavy shuttle, and so on. But satin has a double satin.
- According to the warp used, it can be black flat, white flat and black satin, and white satin.
- The different types of threads include gold thread woven labels, a silver thread woven labels, pure cotton woven labels, etc.
Salvage woven label machine
Salvage woven labels include satin woven labels and reverse woven labels. And the cloth label of the salvage woven label comes out of the machine as a whole. So its edges belong to the wrapping type. The weft yarns seem to be the same color from the beginning to the end and feel flexible. The disadvantage is that the production efficiency is low. Generally, it can only use no more than four colors.
The biggest feature of this machine is that it can only produce satin main labels. The way to tell is to look at the edges. The edges are selvage, with no cuts, and the hand feel is fine. There are mainly three kinds of white satin, black satin, and white satin ironing woven labels.
Crochet woven label machine
The crocheted woven label is similar to the salvage woven label. However, it is not a shuttle-type mechanical product, but a knitted product. The crochet sewing machines can weave quality various crafts. It can even add transparent polyester yarn to the warp.
However, its weft is tighter and stronger. So, we use them as a hot color label. Using the different features of warp and weft yarns, the bottom plate is colored by high-temperature transfer printing. So, the cost of this type of label is high.
What are some restrictions on the production size of the woven label machine?
- Damask machine: The minimum width requirement is 1CM. If it is less than 1CM, it needs to be cut by hand. The scrap rate and the cost are high. There is basically no upper limit requirement for the width. The maximum width can be 110CM.
- Salvage machine: the width is between 1CM and 5CM, and the maximum is 5.0CM.
- Crochet machine: the width is between 0.6CM and 3.5CM, and the maximum is 3.5CM.
- Damask machine: The optional range is the widest. There are up to 12 colors, including gold, silver, black, and other metal threads.
- Salvage machine: it can weave up to 4 colors (including satin base). However, for satin-colored woven labels, we can only use silk threads(it is not easy to be dyed during the ironing process). Also, we can not use gold, silver, black, and other metal wires. And the high temperature is easy to break. In addition, the ironing process is a proprietary process of the salvage machine. So, other machines can’t do it.
- Crochet machine: it can weave up to 4 colors.
What is a woven label density?
The density of the woven label refers to the weft density. The higher the weft density, the higher the quality of the woven label. Weft density refers to how many cotton yarns there are in the woven label in the 1CM range. If the cotton yarn is denser, the emphasis on the woven label will be more delicate. The delicate woven label belongs to the high-end woven label. In addition, we use D to indicate cotton yarn size. 100D is coarser, 75D is finer, 50D is finer yarn, and 30D is finer cotton yarn.
How to distinguish the quality of woven labels?
Look at the color of the woven label. The color is generally selected from the Pantone color system. The color comparison here is all based on the original color or the Pantone color number of the design draft. There is no special indication for this. And it can only be judged by the senses.
How to make woven labels? -7 steps
- First, use design software (such as CorelDraw or Adobe Illustrator) to make the design draft of the woven label. Most of them are simple typesetting. If you need a woven label with shading, you need to use pictures or real samples for reference. The shading may not be reflected in the design draft.
- Second, to import the design draft into the computer program of the loom.
- Third, prepare the yarn according to the design draft. The main thing is to consider the color. Conventional colors are generally available in stock. But unconventional colors require custom dyeing.
- The fourth step is to assemble the yarn into the weaving machine to start weaving. And then, package it at the same time. Then computer machine uses Ultrasonic cutting, slitting, and rolling. While the wooden shuttle machine directly rolls and packages.
- In the fifth step, put the rolled woven label into the cutting and folding machine. Then cut and fold according to the size required by the customer.
- Then, press, iron, etc. as needed, and make post-processing.
- Finally, make a quality inspection, sorting, and packaging
Points that should notice when making woven labels
In general, how to make woven labels? That is woven on a special high-speed machine-like cloth. Then cut into strips according to the target width. Because of the heat-melting properties of polyester. The yarns will stick to each other when we cut them, and will not scatter. It is also for this reason that the appearance and feel will be affected to a certain extent. A good machine and an ultrasonic cut are better than a regular electric knife. And we can sort striped cloth labels and sent them to garment factories for processing.
If the requests are strict, we still need to cut and fold the labels. Because the maximum width of this single faucet machine is 20.8cm. That is to say, labels of this width can be woven, and various shapes are available.
How to make a high-quality woven label?
High-quality woven labels require a high process, but the output is low. There are also plane/satin finishes, which have a soft feel. High-quality woven labels are more suitable for high-end clothing items, such as fashion, suits, etc. The Japanese manufacturers who are very particular about quality use the most. The selvage label is generally a satin label. But the satin background color is difficult to express. Therefore, we often use processes such as ironing/dyeing to solve this problem.
About the woven label industry
Woven labels have wide use in our lives. There is a small woven label on clothes, trousers, shoes, and bags. And we will add the logo or wordmark of the brand on it. These are the signs of clothing brands. , plays a key role in the apparel market.
Woven labels go through many steps in the production process. Therefore, we all need to check every link. In order to certify the customer’s product quality problems.